Monday 13 February 2012

Hydrated and scar free skin

Today I share with you a natural skin care product that can help you get hydrated and scar free skin without burning a hole in your pocket.

I have very dry skin with eczema and absolutely love this product. I really don't know what I will do without this. For me, my dry skin flakes seems to accumulate and since it is too sensitive to exfoliate often, I am prone to break outs from pores clogged by my own dead skin buildup. Compound that with the dry cabin air and the shock to my skin from different climates, it can become an impossible task managing my skin. My toiletries bag is often choke full of bottles and bottles of products and takes up 1/3 of my cargo bag. On to of all this, I am quite the glutton but allergic to seafood. Tough skin situation! But this humble product has seldom failed me.

This wonderful product is pure glycerin solution.


Glycerin



It is a clear, thick, sweet-tasting liquid that is often sold in a clear glass bottles like the one about. Each bottle cost less than 5 bucks and one drop is all I need for my whole face. It is an excellent moisturizer and even better for removing dry flakes from your face or anywhere else the body. Just slowly massage into skin and see the flakes peel away.

As with all DIY skincare, this product is not without controversy. Do read up first and if you think it's for you, remember to do a spot test before proceeding. My post mostly focus on the positive points because I have never experienced any adverse reaction to it.

I have been using this for the longest time as a skincare tip passed down from my mother. Only recently have I thought to research how it works and expand different ways to use it. From my readings, I have realized that most people dilute it with water or mix it with rose water. Frankly, I've never tried that before. My glycerin method is to use it straight from the bottle (note: some have advised against this) and one drop will keep my face moisturized all through the next day even after washing my face. Glycerin is a product in many foods and skin care creams anyway. Go dig up all your skin care products and you will definitely see glycerin as a product in some of them. So I am at least sure that it is safe!

Since I apply the undiluted product, the texture is super thick and sticky even with one drop. I suppose if you are new to the product, it will take some getting used to. Or you can dilute it with water like some suggested. If your skin is so dry that it is cracked, it will sting when applied. Something this is a normality for me. With the consistency of the undiluted product, the best time to apply glycerin for me is at night. For an idea of what you will look like after application, look below.





So how exactly does glycerin work it's magic? Glycerin is said to be a naturally hygroscopic. This means that glycerin attracts water molecules from its surrounding and seals it into your skin. It also forms a seal over your skin helping it to become a great protection layer so small cracks in the skin can heal faster. If this routine works for you, you will be going for the next interview with clear, hydrated scar-free skin for the next walk-in interview. Has anyone else been using it the way I use?











4 comments:

  1. Anonymous01:55

    I heard that pure glycerin can cause blisters when used in full strength. Has this ever happened to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I read somewhere about that too but it has never happened to me. From what I read, because glycerin is hygroscopic, it will absorb water from the surrounding air and if the humidity is too low and not much water molecules in the air, it will take water from deeper within your skin. This may be the cause of blisters? With the humidity in Singapore, this is highly unlikely to happen. And since it's so sticky, I never use it under my makeup for going on flight (cabin air is very dry). So maybe that's why I've never had any side effects. By accident, I have been only using glycerin in conditions when there is enough humidity in the air around me. Like even when out-stationed in dry countries, I only use it in the hotel room at night.

    Frankly, just like most young people growing up, I was seduced by the pretty packaging of all the products on the counters and spent a lot on these. I did not really try my mom's secret thinking it's just an old wives' tale. Only after I joined as a cabin crew and was at my wit's end did I try glycerin. Best decision I've ever made and hasn't looked back since. Hope it works for you guys too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. where can one get glycerin in singapore? does it work for oily skin as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bobo, you can get them in most pharmacies like Guardian, Watsons or even NTUC. Just head to the pharmacy counter at the back and ask.

      I believe glycerin can work for oily skin as well but you should probably not use it undiluted like me. I can imagine it would feel rather uncomfortable to be so sticky from glycerin plus natural sebum from oily skin. Glycerin is water and alcohol soluble and that's why it can be diluted with water or rose water. It is not an oil and thus won't make your skin oilier and neither is it soluble in oils.

      For oily skin, glycerin used as a cleanser or moisturizer can give good results. While it will not cure acne if you already have it, it can prevent further worsening of acne by removing dead skin cells from skin surface and form a protective layer against bacterial skin infections.

      Best of all, it has the ability to reduce or slow down appearances of fine lines in all skin types!

      Delete